Orthodontics is a specialty field in dentistry which deals primarily with the diagnosis, prevention and correction of malpositioned teeth and the jaws. At Georgia Orthodontics & Children’s Dentistry, we offer a wide variety of orthodontic services, performed by our resident orthodontist, Dr. Patel. From treatments for young children to prevent malocclusions to corrective braces for adults, Dr. Patel is dedicated to helping all our orthodontic patients obtain the beautifully straight and aligned smile they deserve.
Types of Orthodontic Treatment
- Periodic orthodontic screening exams on patients, starting at age 7, are essential for monitoring tooth and jaw development. Interceptive treatment needs are identified here.
- Growing patients may require interceptive orthodontic treatment to prevent or minimize the severity of a malocclusion.
- Comprehensive or corrective
- With the use of braces and other appliances, comprehensive orthodontic treatment corrects malocclusions.
- In some severe cases, surgical treatment is needed to remedy misaligned teeth or jaw problems.
- Some of our orthodontic services include:
Causes of Orthodontic Problems
There are several different factors that can cause orthodontic problems. Many malocclusions are caused by one of two things: too much room or not enough room for teeth in the jaw. If there is too much room due to a lost tooth or other issues, teeth may not grow in straight or aligned. If there is not enough room for teeth due to a small jaw or genetic factors, the teeth may be forced to grow out of alignment. Another cause is oral habits that disrupt the natural growth of jaws and eruption of teeth, such as thumb sucking, pacifiers and tongue thrusting.
Dr. Patel at Georgia Orthodontics & Children’s Dentistry is an experienced, highly qualified orthodontist that treats all types of orthodontic problems. Contact our office today to schedule an initial consultation for orthodontic treatment.